Dear Concerned readers,
Please call an interventionist - I think I am addicted to my Google reader.
For most folks out there who utilize their reader, this post may not be new, but I just can't contain myself any more. I love it, and I cannot remember what my life was like before I added my first subscription.
As someone who is entering an industry where information is a key commodity, it is such an ingenious tool, to have pertinent/relevant/entertaining information collected in one convenient location.
However, with any addiction, their seems to be dark side associated with the reader. First, the anxiety. I have so many subscriptions, that if I don't check them at least once every day they pile up fast. And I have this weird neurosis about leaving items unread in my reader. I feel like I have to at least scroll through all of them, so when I'm done with my reader, there are no unread items. Maybe I'm afraid of missing something, or maybe it's a way to leave things neat and tidy (which I have trouble enough with in real life).
Trying to stay on top of the reader leads to the second aspect of the dark side - time suckage. I'll sit down at my computer with the intention of being productive, and the next thing I know two hours have gone by and I haven't even stared on my homework. It's a procrastinator's dream: You feel like you are being productive, without having to really do anything.
Dark side aside, I still love my reader. I get my local, national and international news there, I know what is happening in and around Portland, I subscribe to some great library blogs and I have a few comic strips come my way.
I think it's a great tool to share with library patrons, too. I know some major databases out there have RSS options, so if you are involved in major research on a particular subject, instead of searching out the information, you can have the information come to you. Or, if a patron is interested in general information on a subject, you can help set up subscriptions with relevant blogs and websites for them.
Here is a list of some of my favorite subscriptions:
http://www.mcsweeneys.net
http://www.oregonlive.com/
http://blogtown.portlandmercury.com/blogs/BlogtownPDX/
http://www.postsecret.com/
http://www.swissarmylibrarian.net/
http://blog.libraryjournal.com/annoyedlibrarian/
http://www.normfeuticartoons.com/retail/
http://willmanley.com/
So, dear readers, for those of you who indulge in a "Reader," what are some of your favorite subscriptions? And if you don't use Google Reader, what service do you use?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Just read your post in MY reader! My addiction to Google Reader is the healthiest of all my addictions, so I'm going to keep it.
ReplyDeleteSome of my favorite subscriptions:
http://boingboing.net/
http://stealthissweater.blogspot.com (Lisa Anne Auerbach, one of my favorite artist's blogs)
http://photoshopdisasters.blogspot.com/
<3
Thanks, Renjitsu!
ReplyDeleteI love me a photoshop disaster!
Thanks for the McSweeneys link! I've heard of it, but never checked it out. It led me to some interesting stuff -- like they run a non-profit writing center called 826 Seattle. Going to read more on this now...
ReplyDeleteOh, and I am so old-fashioned, I keep track of my online reading through my bookmarks, but it does seem to work for me.
I love McSweeny's! I discovered them when I was a bookseller for Borders, but really fell in love with them when I read Quiet, Please: Dispatches from a Public Librarian. It's written by Scott Douglas, a McSweeny's contributor.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, Sweet Ronit, your website is looking amazing!