Thursday, June 30, 2011

Things I love: Literary Noir and Portland, OR

There is so much that is amazing about this book trailer, and in turn about Portland...

Wire to Wire Trailer from Juliet Zulu on Vimeo.



First, Wire to Wire, which was recently reviewed in Publisher Weekly, looks like an amazing book.

Second, Tin House is becoming a tight little publishing house. Based in Portland and New York, their literary magazine has published such authors as Sherman Alexie and David Foster Wallace. And the books they are coming out with are (in my humble opinion) pretty cutting edge. I was transfixed by Brian DeLeeuw's In This Way I Was Saved, and I am looking forward to reading Wire to Wire. I feel that with current changes happening in the publishing industry - with a centralized focus on eReaders - we are going to see a lot of exciting things coming from small, independent publishers. But only if we buy their books.

Third, and most importantly, the opening coffee house scene was filmed in my favorite diner, City State. Just a few blocks from my house with the best egg scramble in Portland, good taste is not hard to come by in this town.

1 comment:

  1. ooh, I'll have to check out City State. Best egg scramble? Have you been to Junior's?

    ReplyDelete