Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Should the ALA follow the Bar Association's example?

I have seen a lot of criticism among the online library community against both the ALA and library schools concerning the high number of students who are getting churned out every year in an unsustainable job market.

Here is some fodder for the fire: It appears that the American Bar Association has issued a warning about the potential risks of going for a law degree.

I first saw this on The Atlantic website, where the author provides statistics showing that the salaries for first year lawyer's have been cut in half since the recession started while the average amount of loans taken out by students remain ridiculously high.

My question is: Should the ALA follow the ABA's footsteps? I haven't seen any statistics about salaries or hiring rates for first year library professionals or recent MLIS graduates, but as my graduation approaches, I am certainly feeling the heat...

4 comments:

  1. Oh my! My attorney boyfriend definitely has an interest in this topic. I'll see if he'd like to share his comments. I think I can at least say that the reasons he chose to become a lawyer may be vastly different than those who are upset that they are not earning $1M/year after graduating. Perhaps therein lies a solution? Or not. I guess no matter how you crunch the numbers, the # of jobs < the # of people needing jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should ALA do it? Yes. Will they do it? Probably not. There are just too many vested interests in keeping the dishonest scam going to now change things. And yes, personally I think that ALA and library schools promoting an incoming wave of jobs from retirements, a wave that does not nor will it ever come, is criminally dishonest.

    BTW, I found your blog via FriendFeed. I may have to take a look around. I always like finding a new librarian blog.

    Best, and keep on blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments, Angel! I just added your blogs to my reader - looking forward to reading through them!

    Hope you like what I have posted here - you probably can tell that my posts tend to be far between, but I'm trying to make it so that is not always the case...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Ty! I'm curious what the bf would have to say....

    ReplyDelete