Tuesday, March 23, 2010

What a busy boy I've been...


Well, it's officially spring time in Portland. The cherry, plum and magnolia trees have all bloomed, tulips are poking their heads up, the weather has been BEAUTIFUL, and where have I been? Inside, in the library, ferociously researching, writing and studying...

I know it's been a while since I've last posted, but I have been getting a lot of work done. For example, I just got an article published in the Oregon Library Association Quarterly. It's based on a conversation I had with fellow students on our impressions, as digital natives, of the migration from print to digital content. If you have a second to check it out, there are embedded links where you can listen to what we had to say.

This past weekend I gave a presentation on reference services in community colleges, and how libraries with limited resources can best meet the needs of large student populations. My group came up with the conclusion that librarians need to meet the students at the source of the research: on the internet.

In other news from the realm of library school, it's officially spring break. Where am I off to, you ask? Cancun? Miami? Prague? Nope - the Portland convention center! This week is the Public Library Association's annual conference, and it's right here in Portland. Thousands upon thousands of Public Librarians are invading the city, and I hope to find myself right in the middle of it all. Along with attending the conference, I'll also be volunteering at the info desk and I'll be guest blogging of the PLA blog. Check it out, I already have my first post up!

That's not all - last month I worked with other library students on a project for the PLA - a little video highlighting fun things to do around Portland. We took the project very *ahem* seriously, really wanting to show the "Portland" side of Portland. It came out great - check it out: The Visiting Librarians Guide To Portland. I'm amazed at how many people have seen it - at the time of this writing, almost 2,000 (I was expecting 500)! It's been popping up on all sorts of web sites and blogs. It just goes to show you, careful what you post on the internet - you never know where it will end up or who might see it!

Alright, I'm off to the convention center for my first shift at the info desk, I'll let y'all know how it goes!!

1 comment:

  1. wow you have been doing a lot. as for me i still need to start our two big projects...blah

    ReplyDelete