Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Poor Man's Netflix

Is a future librarian writing on his blog about the things he himself has checked out of the library poetic, ironic or just plan sad?

Anyways - I dig the list feature that blogger offers. Usually when I am on facebook the first thing that I look at are the lists of books, dvds and cds that folks post on their profiles. They're very telling at how people perceive themselves (or at least want to be perceived). What can I say, I'm pretty shallow...

Instead of just copying and pasting what I have posted on my facebook page, and staying true to my obsession with all things bibliographic, I decided to just have a rolling list of things I currently have checked out from Multnomah County Library, a library I have been smitten with ever since I moved to Portland...

Did you know Multnomah Count Library is one of the most patroned libraries in America (second only to Brooklyn, NY)? Not only does that illustrate how amazing our library system is, it's also a kudos to how awesome Portland is. I consider it my poor man's netflix - instead of adding items to my queue, I just request them (usually from my home computer) and as soon as they are available I pick them up from the branch a few blocks from my house. As a graduate student living in poverty, its a pretty sweet deal....

So check my list out, it'll give you an interesting look as to who I am. If you notice it's not alphabetical, rather chronological. I figure that way you'll know what movie, book or cd I am enjoying at the moment...

2 comments:

  1. Did you recognize Tunde Adebimpe in Rachel Getting Married? I couldn't place him until a visit to IMDB. The databases that modern libraries have access to are also amazing. The day I realized that Multnomah County offered the OED online to patrons was one of the greatest days in Portland for me. For real for real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. multnomah county is the bee's friggin knees of public libraries....

    there are a ton of requests out for Rachel Getting Married, so this one is still in my "queue," but I can't wait to see it. I didn't realize Tunde was in this one - he is the epitome of rock star, so I'm looking forward to seeing him act. Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep my eyes peeled for him....

    ReplyDelete