Sunday, August 30, 2009

Idle ramblings...

Just had my first class weekend. The program I am enrolled in is distant learning, but each course does have face to face sessions twice a term. It felt so great to be back in an academic setting. Our cohort had some fascinating (and heated) discussions, and it was refreshing to put my brain back to work.

One of my favorite discussions we had was on how individuals use information. In a smaller group, we asked ourselves if the way we use information effects the way that we think or if the way we think effects the way we use information.


After class I had a great time hanging out with a few members of the cohort, including members who don't live here in Portland. I really enjoy being a tour guide and advocate for the city. Not only do I enjoy helping people out (like describing the layout of the city or how to take advantage of great public transportation systems) but I also love the ability to experience the town with someone who has not spent very much time here. Its like seeing the city in a fresh new way, as if I just moved here all over again.

In other news...

I just joined LinkedIn, more out of curiosity than expectations. I'm intrigued by social networking, and this is a site I have yet to check out. I've read a lot of reviews, and it seems like a great place for business professionals, especially folks with online businesses. I don't think it will get me a job, but I do think it will be a great way to *professionally* stay in touch. So if you're reading this and I have a profile, feel free to find me, and we'll link up.

1 comment:

  1. Try #2. I had a conversation with an assistant librarian two days ago about networking and interning. Good luck linking.

    ReplyDelete